DO NOT DIAL 9-1-1 UNLESS YOU ARE REPORTING AN EMERGENCY!!
The Village’s Emergency siren will be activated in the event severe weather is threatening our area, or another emergency which requires immediate action to protect life and property.
If you see a funnel cloud, please call the Non-Emergency phone number (447-9191) to report it.
The Emergency Siren is tested the first Tuesday of every month at approximately 10:00 AM.
SEVERE WEATHER SAFETY AND PREPARATION
No time of year is free from tornadoes, but in Illinois they are most likely to occur during the months of April, May and June. Illinois has averaged 31 tornadoes per year since 1950, but in 1974 there were 107 sighted! 50% of all tornadoes occur between the hours of 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., but they can strike at any time of the day or night. They are most likely to happen in the late afternoon on hot, spring days. Knowing the basics of tornado safety can help you survive.
Click Here to view the Ready Illinois website for more information, including disaster guides, pamphlets and forms that you can use to be Ready before disaster strikes.
LIGHTNING WARNING SYSTEM
The Village of North Riverside is equipped with a Thor-Guard lightning warning system. The warning system consists of horns and yellow strobe lights.
There are 6 locations where the signaling devices are located:
- Veteran's Park - 26th & Veteran's Drive
- Commons Park on The Police Station
- The Tot Spot - 24th & 14th Avenue
- Scottish Home - 28th & Desplaines
- Komarek School - 24th & 13th Avenue
- Mater Christi School - 24th & 10th Avenue
The yellow strobe light signals a continuing lightning alert condition. If you are outdoors when the system signals a lightning condition you should immediately seek shelter in major buildings or vehicles. People outdoors should stop and seek shelter any time they believe lightning threatens them, even if the signal has not been sounded!
If you hear the warning signal, we ask that you DO NOT call 911 unless you are reporting an emergency.
THREE SHORT HORN BLASTS SIGNAL IT IS SAFE TO RETURN TO THE AREA.
In the event of a power outage, please call 1-800-Edison1 (1-800-334-7661) to report it. Do not assume that someone else has already called.
We ask that you not call the Police Department to report the outage.
Remember: DO NOT go near downed power lines, as they may be “live” even though it may not be sparking. If you see a downed power line, please report it to the North Riverside Police Department, and then call ComEd, so that they may repair it.
Minors (ages 17 and under) and not accompanied by an adult must abide by the curfew hours in the Village. The daily curfew hour is 10:30 PM, Sunday through Thursday, 11:30 PM on Friday and Saturday. Curfew applies until 6:00 AM.
The North Riverside Fire Department can assist the owner or occupant into their residence in the event of being locked out or lost keys. A release form is required to be signed by the owner/occupant of the location. Depending on emergency calls, the fire department may not be immediately available.
The North Riverside Police Department can assist residents who are locked out of their vehicles. Please contact the Police Department at 447-9191 for assistance
CAR SEAT INSTALLATIONS & INSPECTIONS
According to the Illinois Child Passenger Protection Act:
- All children under the age of eight years must be secured in an appropriate child restraint system.
- Children weighing more than 40 pounds may be transported in the back seat of a motor vehicle while wearing only a lap belt if the back seat is not equipped with a lap and shoulder belt system for booster seat installation.
- Children and young people, eight and up to sixteen years of age, must be secured in a properly adjusted safety belt in any position in the vehicle.
- The parent or legal guardian of a child under the age of eight years is responsible for providing a child safety seat to anyone who transports his or her child.
- Every person under the age of 18 years who transports a child eight years of age or older (up to 18 years) is responsible for securing that child in a properly adjusted and fastened safety belt or child safety seat.
There are certified car seat technicians located at both the police and fire departments. This service is for North Riverside residents by appointment only. If you would like to make an appointment to have your child's car seat inspected, or need to have it properly installed, please contact the fire department at 447-1981 or the police department at 447-9191. You can find additional local resources for proper car seat installation at http://www.seatcheck.net. Information regarding car seat recalls can be found at www.cpsc.gov.