The Community Development Department administers the orderly growth of the community by ensuring quality development through superior customer service which adheres to the goals and objectives established by the residents, mayor, and Village Board. The department provides assistance to local businesses, residents, and developers through program administration of the following community functions:
- Building inspections and plan review
- Code enforcement
- Economic development
- Fire plan review
- Health Inspections and plan review
Current Codes & Amendments
- 2006 International Mechanical Code - Amendments
- 2008 National Electrical Code - Amendments
- 2009 International Building Code
- 2009 International Property Maintenance Code - Amendments
- 2009 International Residential Code - Amendments
- 2014 Plumbing Code (PDF)
- 2018 Energy Code
- Ordinance Amending Code Relating to Building and Construction 03/16/13
Building Permit Applications
A permit shall be obtained prior to the erection, construction, alteration or repair, demolition or movement of any building or structure in the village of North Riverside, including the construction, alteration, repair, demolition, or movement of any part of an electrical, plumbing or mechanical system, or prior to the clearing or excavating of the site of any proposed building or structure or construct or maintain any driveway in or across any public walk, parkway or curb. Before beginning any building activity, be sure to contact the Building Department to check if a permit is necessary. When applying for a permit, homeowners must present a copy of the contract, fill out an application, and submit drawings, blueprints, or sketches.
If a contractor is doing the work, the contractor needs to register with the Village of North Riverside before a permit can be issued. This way the Village can make sure the homeowner is protected and work is being done according to code. A copy of the Building Permit Application can be downloaded here. Failure to obtain the necessary permits can result in a fine.
Please don't wait till the last minute to apply for a permit. Permit applications could take anywhere from seven to ten working days to be processed depending on the type of work being done.
Permits can be submitted by email to: click
Please reference the supplemental application materials to determine what additional materials must be submitted with your application. View all applications.
What work requires a permit? Any work that requires a structural change such as:
- Alterations involving moving or adding walls
- Electrical and plumbing work
- Fire suppression and detection work
- HVAC work
- Sheds, fences, decks, roofs, driveways, patios, window replacement, siding
- Parking lots and private walks
- Pools, hot tubs, spas
- Exterior wall-mounted signs and temporary signs
If you are unsure if your project requires a permit, contact the Community Development Department at 708-762-5900.
All construction plans must comply with local zoning ordinances pertaining to building use, height, area, and setbacks.