Kids are still learning how to navigate the world. They don’t understand why some things are unsafe, so the responsibility of preparing them falls on caregivers like you. But what if you don’t know how to prepare them for safety during the summer?
The North Riverside Police Department wants kids to stay safe, and we’re here with summer safety tips to make that happen.
Safety Tips for Parents
- Provide a list of phone numbers of neighbors, family and friends that your child can call in an emergency. Make sure your child knows how to dial 911.
- Know the route your child will take to and from a given location. Remind your child never to take a shortcut or deviate from the route.
- Require children/teenagers to check in with you before leaving the house and when they arrive back home.
- Teach your children never to talk to anyone they don’t know.
- Teach your children to play and travel in groups, there is safety in numbers.
- Establish rules for using the internet. Make sure your child knows to never give out personal information on the computer.
- Click here for more information Travel
- Click here for more information Strangers
- Click here for more information Swimming
Bike Riding Safety Tips
- Wear a safety helmet.
- Check your bike before leaving to make sure tires are inflated and brakes are working.
- If you ride on the street keep to the right and obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Yield to vehicles and signal when turning.
- Use crosswalks and yield to pedestrians.
- Lock your bike every time it is not in use.
- If riding after dark use a headlight and taillight.
- Click here for more information biking